Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Make Art Everyday!

Bright Colors, Gelli Print Circles, Stencils, and Birdhouses

I try to do some form of art everyday.  Maybe it's just trying out a new stencil or stamping an image and then coloring it in.  I find that even if I don't complete something, but rather just dabble for a few minutes, I get the satisfaction of playing in a creative way.

This is an art journal spread that I tried to put together rather quickly.  My small Dylusions art journal is the place I seem to go to when I feel limited on time.  Rae Missigman taught me the trick of using an old credit card to spread paint onto a page.  I like this technique because it's quick and the paint needs almost no time to dry.  After applying the paint I added more paint through some new stencils and then added washi tape around the edges.  On a whim I decided to stamp the branch with the tree houses.  I've found lately that I like to punch out large circles and adhere them to my page.  In this case I punched some Gelli printed deli paper circles.  I then outlined the circles with a black pen.

Since I was trying to make time for art on a busy day I decided to stick letters on the page spelling out 'Make Art Everyday'.  I really like the bright colors on these pages.  I can see that I can work on blending colors and trying to lesson the harsh lines moving from one color to the next.  But, hey, that's what an art journal is for!   An art journal is a place to explore new mediums, try out new techniques, and see how colors work (or don't work) together.  It's a place to dive in and have fun . . . no pressure.  It's also a place where we can freely express ourselves, with or without words.  Even well known and accomplished artists don't create masterpieces everyday.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment