Saturday, March 8, 2014

Projects I've been working on

I wish I could say that I stick to just one craft, such as art journaling,  but I can't say that I do.  I want to try it all!  I thought I'd use this post to share with you some of the projects I'm working on right now.

I started this canvas a while back and didn't really like it.  Just recently I covered it up with some of my new Golden Heavy Body paints and added these fun 3 inch origami squares of paper that I purchased in Port Townsend recently.  I did not cover up all of the black squiggly lines.  I wanted to still see those.  I also did some scratching of the paint and suddenly I'm liking it much more.  It's still a work in progress.  For whatever reason, it takes some bravery on my part to take on a canvas.  I think it is because a canvas is intended to be hung up on someone's wall, not just closed up in an art journal.  This pressure (that I put on myself) and expectation leaves me with some anxiety.  Do you get anxious when you think about working on a larger canvas?
Knitting is something I like to do but am not very consistent with.  I have hoards of yarn under my bed. (Please tell me I'm not the only yarn hoarder!)  While I was buying some wool felt in Port Townsend I wandered into the yarn store, Diva Yarn and Trim, looking for some wool roving.  The woman working there was nice enough to share a very easy pattern for knitting a cowl with just one ball of yarn.  So, of course I ended up buying one skein of Malabrigo Mecha, a 100% superwash wool yarn.  The pattern is simple:  With size 15 circular needles (24 inch) cast on 120 stitches.  Then simply knit 3 rows and then pearl 3 rows and just continue doing this until the yarn runs out.  Super easy!    Here's what I have so far.
    
Recently I was motivated to pull out my needle felting supplies.  I have been following Jane LaFazio's blog (which in itself has been a source of inspiration since I am a brand new blogger).  She works with watercolors, fabric, felt, silk and more.  I stumbled across some of her needle felting projects and directions and knew immediately I had to try combining silk and wool and other sheer fabrics in my needle felting.  I seriously considered buying a needle felting machine but decided that was kind of premature.  You can do a lot with the Clover needle felting tool and needle felting mat (shown in photo).  Here's what I have so far:

What kind of projects are you working on?  Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. How funny, I just sent you an email and I mentioned how I don't have enough time and energy for all the fun things I love to get involved with. Then I read this post. Apparently, we have the same problem! You are a very talented woman, though. I love all the projects you're working on :)

    ReplyDelete