Tuesday, February 17, 2015

An Art Quilt in my Favorite Colors

Recently I've been very inspired by the work of Jane LaFazio.  She makes some incredible art quilts where she combines fabric, paint, stitching, drawing and more.  Here is a link to her blog.  You can check out all the photos in her gallery.  She also makes beautiful machine needle felted quilts with lots of hand stitching and appliqué.  I took a day long class from her at CREATE in Seattle and learned all about machine needle felting.

There was also an article in my most recent, January/February 2015, edition of Cloth, Paper, Scissors magazine called Free-Style Patchwork by Linda Willis.  I basically followed her directions to make the following little art quilt which measures 10 1/2 inches by 11 inches.
 The middle piece of fabric (with the green stitching) was a piece of cotton muslin that I did some gelli printing on maybe 6 months ago.  It was really fun to incorporate that into this quilt.
A close up of the stitching and added sequins.

I loved how quickly this came together!  It's very different than traditional quilting where everything  has to be precisely measured and planned to make pieces fit together just so.  It's a different look and I want to make more!!  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment